tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Overall Colony Songwriter Festival recap

There were somewhere between 24-30 songwriters involved in the all day events at the Galley in Marietta. Its a great place ("ambiance") with an unbelievable beer selection! There were many of the local familiar musicians and some stretching probably from a little further. There were a lot of good songs cranked out all day long. I caught up some with Don Baker, Aaron Whited, checked out many of the ones I didn't know. Todd and Billy Matheny kept the sound going and Lisa kept the voting and contest stuff going smoothly. I was a little disappointed in the crowd that actually made it over to the Ohio Valley Players Theater, but we didn't let that discourage or daunt us, from enjoying it; both the two opening acts and Jason Wilber's performance. I assume things like this will keep happening; though you can't deny its a lot of work and somewhat of a "risk" support/ attendance-wise. I think it just needs to keep being a part of a mix of things that are tried locally to boost the live local music scene. I don't know if the Mountain Stage New Song contest is in the works for around here again, or if it might have a different format this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home