tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Rob McNurlin bio- at Hank Williams tribute in Charleston, Dec. 27th

Rob McNurlin Bio

Rob McNurlin was raised in Eastern Kentucky, the hymns in church, the Johnny Cash Show on TV, a harmonica from his grandmother, his parents records and a guitar on his ninth Christmas set him on a very musical path.
He began studying traditional music learning hundreds of folk, hillbilly-blues and Gospel tunes. Inspired by Cash, Dylan, Woody Guthrie and Hank Williams he started writing songs and mixing these originals with the traditional .
Rob has released five cds including "Cowboy Boot Heel", recorded at Johnny Cash's Cabin Studio, produced by his son John Carter Cash and a duet with guest Ramblin' Jack Elliott. "Lonesome Valley Again" reached #26 on the FAR charts and #55 on the Americana chart, remaining in the top 100 over two months. The cd "River, Road or Rail" was a collaberation with Nancy Apple and reached #1 on the FAR chart, top 40 on the Americana Europe chart. His latest cd "Sacred Numbers" is a collection of Gospel songs.
McNurlin has toured with Ramblin' Jack Elliott and Hot Tuna, his songs have been covered by Ronnie Elliott among others and used in two award winning documentaries. He is currently touring and working on a new cd.
Past appearances
Jorma Kaukonen 's Fur Peace Ranch , Darwin OH; Woody Guthrie Folk Festival, Okemah OK; The Bluebird Cafe’, Nashville TN; The Columbus Music Hall, Columbus OH; Appalachian Celebration, Morehead KY; Coal Creek Coffeehouse, Laramie WY; The Belle Chere Festival, Asheville NC; Douglas Corner Cafe’, Nashville TN; Kentucky Folk Life Festival, Frankfort KY; The Kentucky State Fair.
Radio
Mountain Stage (Public Radio International); Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour (syndicated); Music From The Mountains (West Virginia Public Radio); host of The Beatnik Ranch Party (WSAC Louisa KY); Americana Crossroads Live (WMKY Radio)
Television Mixed Media (Kentucky Educational TV); Sound FX (FX Channel syndicated); On the Road (KET, PBS); The Beatnik Ranch Party (syndicated)
Interview
Q: How and when did you get interested in music?A: I grew up listening to my parents records, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, early rock and roll. My Grandmother gave me a harmonica, I must have been around five, also the Johnny Cash television show. I received a guitar for my ninth Christmas and told my teacher I wanted to play like Cash. Then a friend gave me a copy of "Gates of Eden" by Bob Dylan. That opened the flood gate and let me know you could write songs of any kind about any subject, no fences or boundaries.Q: When did it become a profession?A: Right after high school I began to focus, thinking it might be possible to perform for a living. In 1987 I met Ramblin' Jack Elliott. Its nothing he really said or done, but something in that meeting and later visits let me know I was on the right track. A link in the chain, you don't need huge hit records to be a major force. Do what you do and let the world come to you, play on your own terms.Q: Could you give us a brief overview of your recordings?A: My first cd was "Last of the Beatnik Cowboys" in 1994. I put together a band, the Beatnik Cowboys and toured to support it. Not long after that, I toured some with Ramblin' Jack also. In 2000 "Cowboy Boot Heel" was released. That one came together great. We recorded it at Johnny Cashs Cabin Studio with his son John Carter Cash producing. Ramblin' Jack helped sing on "I Dreamed I saw Woody Guthrie". The next one "Lonesome Valley Again" was released in 2003.It received a lot of airplay and reached #26 on the FAR radio chart and #55 on the Americana chart. We released "Buffalo Skinners" as an afterthought. I always perform some traditional folk songs at concerts so at a rehearsal we rolled tape and ran through the ones we liked. The tape was around for awhile and sounded good. It was released in 2004.Q: Are there any performing moments that really stand out?A: Oh yea, I'm blessed, I have quite a few. Traveling with Ramblin' Jack is always a thrill, but it was an honor to perform with him at the Crystal Theater in Okemah OK at the Woody Guthrie Folk Festival. That was 2003. Through Jack I met Jorma and Vanessa Kaukonen at the Fur Peace Ranch. That lead to opening shows for Hot Tuna and getting to pick some on and off stage with them. Another big boost was touring England with Americana artist Luna and Dave Prince. Dave and I have played together for years, a great friend and one of the best guitarists.The performing is wonderful, it's the reason I'm here. But the true blessing is the people, the folks I get to perform with and the wonderful people I meet along the way, Thanks for listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home