tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

National Record Store Day

This Saturday is National Record Store Day (visit the website for some fun browsing). Some folks have declared this day to remember the positive impact music stores have had in people's lives, and to support the independent stores in these crazy economic times; and the crazy world of the music business. I don't do nearly enough to promote this, crazily timing it right when I am organizing a tribute benefit the night before, but I keep something going by having a used vinyl record sale this day, April 18th in front of the Sound Exchange, 3417 Murdoch Ave., Parkersburg from 10 am to 2 pm. I lug some boxes of records that I have received through generous donors in the community and sell them for $1 a piece. The proceeds benefit the work of Children's Home Society of WV in the Parkersburg area. I have collected over $1000 each of the last few years with these sales, that goes to support the work we do, such as our neighborhood drop in center in the McKinley school district, our foster care program, our emergency shelter, and our early childhood programs.
I will have the pretty typical mix of classic rock, country, comedy, show tunes and soundtracks, some pretty eclectic novelty stuff. There is much of it that is in good shape, and then some risky buys, that might be best for nostalgia and the album covers!!!! I've been trying to limit the new donations I get in, if they are mostly "easy listening stuff" from the 50's and 60's because most of that doesn't sell well. I have added a feature this year, where I can convert a vinyl record LP to a CD for a donor; if you are hanging on to the records because you just can't part with the memories of the music, you can get a CD version when you donate if you want!!!
Come on out, and browse the stacks of records, and help our cause of serving area children and families.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home