tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Open letter to all supporters of CHS' Americana Music Tribute Series

TO: Friends of Children’s Home Society of WV-Parkersburg’s “Americana Music Tribute Series”
FROM: Steve Tuck
DATE: May 26, 2009
RE: An Update on the Series; part way through 2009

HI! I am circulating this letter to you as a valued supporter of the “Americana Music Tribute Series.” The 2009 Series has started with its usual bag of mixed emotions, but you can never say its not an exciting and intriguing ride!
The Johnny Cash Bash was the single most successful event in the series EVER! We had great music, a huge crowd, and everything went off well as a fund raiser! Thanks to everyone who participated.
The Whole Lotta Hank (and Cajun Cookoff) event was a hopeful first attempt at something new (adding a food event component!), but very disappointing in crowd turnout. The folks involved in the cook off are eager to follow up on this first try next year, so that’s a good sign.
The Bob Dylan Tribute is this Saturday, back at 6 Pence Pub, where the Cash Bash was held being the first time for a series event at this venue. I’m a little anxious about crowd turnout for this one, but we’ll see. We’ve got a solid musical line up.

I am wanting to have a Woody Guthrie/ Pete Seeger tribute sometime this summer, and could use some help brainstorming this one- venue, timing, etc. I would like to be able to announce something at the Dylan tribute if possible.

The John Prine tribute is already set for 6 Pence Pub in October.

I am undecided about having a Neil Young tribute (November?) because of the disappointing turnout last year.

Should there be any others for 2009?

I have had one vinyl record sale, which was pretty successful, and have had a steady stream of visitors to browse the records between sales, too. I will likely have one over the summer in the air conditioning, and perhaps one more in the fall, or just keep letting people know they can browse the collection. I am not sure I’ll make my $1000 “quota” this year, just because my energy for it is tapering off a bit.

Besides the very exciting (yet disappointing crowd) Stacey Earle and Mark Stuart house concert early in the year, I haven’t had any coffee houses this year yet. I have some prospects in the works, so will update folks on that as it comes up; sometimes it comes up sort of suddenly.



My “goals” for the Americana Series (as a fund raiser, benefit) is to aim for $1000 for each event. I know this gets ambitious if we don’t have something besides just $5 at the door, so I can really use some help broadening out the fund raising aspect.
Of course, the additional “purpose” / vision is to keep working on community awareness of the work of CHS in the community; building a core group of supporters and advocates. We (as an agency) are really looking at our unique mission of engaging communities in our work, and this Series represents that value wholeheartedly.

And lastly, I cannot stress enough, my appreciation for the enthusiastic support of each and every one who helps out with the events, and the Series as a whole. I (I hope its obvious!) love organizing these events, getting people together around music. I continue to seek a “core team” to help with the long range planning, to keep the music alive and kicking in the Parkersburg area!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home