tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Will Kimbrough coming to Parkersburg

Will Kimbrough will come to Parkersburg Saturday, March 5th for a 7 pm coffee house (house concert type) setting. $15 for tickets to see this great musical act. 1739 St. Mary's Ave. Door number 3. We can seat about 40 people and its a nice intimate listening room setting with pretty good sound, based on what others have said about previous shows here.
Will is one of my favorites. I have seen him at Fur Peace Ranch, at Court Street Grille in Pomeroy, at an outdoor festival in Pomeroy, down by the river, at the Americana Music Festival in Nashville in one of the local venues. His range of songs is fantastic, from hard rocking instrumental stuff, to sharp lyrical commentary, to melodies that grab you from first listen. He is a stellar collaborator and supporter of other musicians, which is a lot of where I bumped into him: his partnering with Todd Snider, Adrienne Young, Tommy Womack, Rodney Crowell, Jimmy Buffett. He has won instrumentalist of the year in Americana Music Association awards. Many of his songs are in my top list of favorite songs, across several styles. My first songo the day, listed last February 4 (2010) was a Will Kimbrough song "You Don't Know Me So Well." He has recorded this in two very different versions, which is also impressive and intriguing. (The version on Home Away is my personal favorite, but the one on Godsend is also powerful. I will write a little more about Will Kimbrough and his music in the lead up to the show on March 5th.

1 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger jackscrow said...

Looking forward...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home