tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

musicians acknowledgment

I still "bask" in appreciation for the enthusiasm of the musicians who stepped forward to play at the johnny cash tribute. Steve Markle signed on to play the drums with anyone who wanted him to sit in; and did so throughout the night with various combinations. Don Howerton did the opening set, and definitely had the roots in Johnny Cash's life story to get us going. His enthusiasm for ALL the ideas of the Americana Music Series is helping boost my morale. Dave McIntire, Shawn Buskirk, and Jim Vaughan captured people's imagination as a high energy group with all the spirit we were hoping for; by the later sets, when Dave stood up on his upright bass, we knew we had reach a highlight. They had a big following, and caught many folks by surprise, too. Corey Shields did a great job with "hurt." and we hope this gave him a boost to get out and play more. Tyler and Ken Storey did a great father -son set, and likewise, I hope this encourages Tyler to keep playing out in gigs -with a long future in front of him!
Johnny Nutter, Harold Yoho and Ken (and I believe another fellow joined them for a later set, sorry!) And then, Aaron Whited did a set; and finishing up with Dave Gerber and Vickie doing a few nice duets; which we were all waiting for.
Now, of course, Andy Tuck tied it all together, and tirelessly worked the adjustments to the sound (AARRGGGGHHHH for him, with all the adjustments, differing needs with microphones, etc.) I liked his original song he worked in; starting to be a favorite of mine!!! and his solos on guitar with a later jam set were great. If I do say so myself, I think the teleprompter work I did on A Boy named sue, and one piece at a time, helped him pull those songs off very well- I knew just when to go to the next page...... And then I can't forgot the one little interlude with Brian McHenry playing girl from the north country.
And, again, if I do say so myself, the brave volunteers who came up to recite verses from I've Been Everywhere were great- I don't know what I can do to get more people to take part in the "interactive" portions of the tribute benefits.....
I will probably think of more stuff, but if I left someone out, I'm doing it to spur someone to reply to me.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home