tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

as usual, no original ideas.....................

Through usual round abouts, I find that there are a huge amount of hank williams tribute shows around the country. Down in southern west virginia there are tribute shows on dec. 31st, when he died in the back of the car in southern wv. Chicago has had a big hankfest around his birthday in sept. with songwriting contests- original songs in the "style" of hank sr. John Lilly of Charleston WV won this contest in 2005. track him down with a website and interesting stuff. They have jambalaya contests.
rules for the Hank's Army open-air jam: play nice with others, know how to tune your instrument; listen to those around you, know as many hank tunes as possible. (these are at www.hankfest.com ) The songwriting contest is called "ghost writers in the sky" - there has been a "look-alike" contest, too.
Quote: "he was the master of the three chords and the truth" songwriting style.

And then there is a list of other events around the country over several years, and there are tons of them. I don't have an original idea/bone in my body..........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home