tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Monday, September 01, 2008

Vegetable Song (Barnyard Dance)

Steve Goodman's record "Somebody Else's Trouble" - I guess I discovered this based on the link with John Prine. Even Jimmy Buffett makes an appearance on the cover as "marvin gardens" - but something makes me think, I had heard the song "vegetable song/ barnyard dance- from a folk singer passing through Springfield Ohio in the early 70's. I used to baffle and amaze youth and staff alike with an acappella version of the song in the early 80's. I came to appreciate that Steve Goodman dug up such songs from his connection with the string band folks Carl Martin (Armstrong, Bogan, etc.) he hooked up with in Chicago and on the festival circuit. The other songs on this album, like the one about health foods, were intriguing enough at the time. 6 hours ahead of the sun, Penny Evans, etc. too. "Some folks drink when they're happy, some folks drink when they're dry; some folks drink so they won't have to think........." Years later, with his comprehensive book, Clay Eals ties a lot of this stuff together very impressively. I must have driven my college roommate crazy with the music I discovered. And now years later, I don't remember what I would have done with my record collection while I was vagabonding around the country. I'm glad my parents somehow packratted that stuff. And when we finally had electricity again, after several years of simple living, I must have re-gathered those records to the house on Parkersburg Road in Spencer. Always a few years behind the technological advances, the casette tapes I have represent a weird interlude of music. I guess Todd Snider was in the transition to CD's since I have early Todd in cassette's and later Todd in CD's. I have to figure out how to hook up this converter of vinyl albums to CD's; its just sitting there right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home