tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

john Prine tribute show this friday night

I repeat some of this stuff, because I put the word out to check this blog for updates, and there may be a few new readers each time. We're gearing up toward the 6th annual John Prine Mid Ohio Valley birthday tribute this friday night with the festivities starting at 8 pm. Scott, at the 5th St. Pub is ready for us, from the venue side. Please encourage him as I think he might have a little skepticism about this event, and the "unknown" form of music and music fans this may bring in. He is a hard working proprietor, and we'd like to give him a little boost of business with a little different genre of music into his establishment. He made me a fine vegetarian sub the other day during his bustling lunch business.
We are having an informal "musician's get together" tomorrow (Wednesday) evening at 6 pm for anyone who wants to get together for a little fellowship two days prior to the event. Cory will likely be there (the sound guy) to go over anything anybody needs to; musicians can trade song lists, lyric /chord info, state a preference for when they want to play, and stuff like that. They have an internet juke box with at least 50 or so John Prine selections from what I can recall.
I am asking the "tried and true" who have the capability to stock their car on the way to the show with a few folding chairs, in case we need 'em, if the existing chairs get to Standing Room Only, too quickly. I am going to have 8-10 folding chairs in my car trunk, to have available should our crowd warrant it. A few others doing the same would be appreciated. The space is very nice, and can hold well up to 100- 120, but there is a shortage of chairs. You can bring lawn/ festival/ picnic chairs for that matter, with a little canvas cup holder or somethin'. We'll see how it works out; we've got a great line up of musicians so there might even be shifts of listeners; an early crowd and a normal live music late crowd. I hope I can keep all the musicians happy with time slots, and don't exhause Cory and JT too much with a full night of set changes.
Come out for a guaranteed good night of John Prine tunes, to downtown Parkersburg (316 5th St. for those using map quest). I have been busy lining things up and haven't even dusted off the contest ideas; if you have any ideas send 'em my way. I also haven't made my signature funky trophies yet. I do have FANTASTIC John Prine door prizes and contest prizes however. Lots of people walk away happy with the door prizes every time out. If you have song requests ahead of time go ahead and send 'em in- I'll work with the musicians to see if anybody can work them in. I have heard rumblings that a few of my more able musicians have worked on some of John's newer stuff off Fair and Square and In Spite of OUrselves, and such, I don't know if anybody has worked on anything from the Mac Wiseman duet album though. You can bet it pretty much might mirror a classic live concert show in terms of mix of songs from all up and down his play list. Stay tune for at least one more update; other wise, contact me with any questions or comments. HOpe to see a good crowd there Friday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home