tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Monday, February 19, 2007

First (brief) report on weekend shows

I have to make this brief, but I wanted to share the excitement of two great shows this weekend- making the annual pilgrimage to see John Prine, and the Mountain Stage with Arlo Guthrie and the Guthrie Family Legacy Tour. John Prine was in Lexington KY for two shows- we caught the Saturday show. He put on a typical great, inspired show; and it definitely gave me the boost I like to get from his music, and seeing him live. He had a very appreciative audience and is gracious in turn, showing his appreciation and amusement at what a strong reaction he gets. Having his brother Billy come out for Paradise was a nice new twist. He also added a "deep in his body of work" song, based on the suggestion of his brother over lunch - I'll have to dig up the name- but I had only heard it once or twice. More on that show later.
The Mountain Stage at the Clay center was a great show all around- 4 great acts, and culminating with a good long set by the Guthrie crew. Again, an audience that was engaged and showing their response, and the musicians seeming to feed off that. A good mix of Sarah and Johnny Orion songs, and some Woody legacy songs. Good musicianship from Gordon and Abe to go along with the fine singing and guitar playing of the other three.
John Hammond played a high energy creative set, and had an excellent keyboard player; Jorma got it off to a good start; his roots and range of music is deep; you can only hope to get a glimpse at a mountain stage set. And Uncle Earl seemed to capture the audience pretty well right there in the middle, and midst of things. They will be invited back I'm sure- good musicianship and song writing; good engaging of the audience. More later on this too.
A great uplifting weekend of music; despite iffy weather throughout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home