tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Blues in the Schools event yesterday

I attended a great event yesterday afternoon at the Art Center. A benefit for the blues in the schools program. They have been doing it in Marietta for a few years, and have been there a few weeks ago (Marietta Middle school) and are in the middle of a couple weeks at Blennerhassett JH. A group of middle school students opened the show with their teachers, Fruteland Jackson and Todd Burge. A nice little set with lots of little solos etc.
Todd did a short set, finishing with a harmonica and accapella song belted out. Then the sets were all blues performers coming from other places - a good diverse mix of styles. I liked the bottle neck guitar work of Austin "walkin cane." The last act Sean Carney Band had won some contest in Memphis, and were a strong, tight ensemble of a variety of blues.
This was (also) a disappointing crowd, given the length of music presented, the variety, the out of town guests, etc. etc. Most of the people there were likely associated with the Blues, Jazz and Folk Music Society, so there were not really very many "paying customers" such as I.
Further discouragement for the local music scene (building on my own from Friday night)- but it only takes a day or two to get back up the enthusiasm for the next thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home