tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

a little traveling music, please

Tuesday I ventured out into a dreary, overcast WV day driving across ol' US Route 50 toward Clarksburg and then down I-79 to the newly appointed capital of West Virginia, Flatwoods. It rained off and on; mostly spitting up from the other vehicles in front of me along the routes. By the time I got out of about 6 hours of grueling meeting, it was warm, balmy even, ya might say, and the clouds had broken up mostly and it was April, or September, or whatevah.
So the musical line up of listening music CD's included:
- Jackson Browne (the best of; the next voice you hear.....) This was music from a definite "other time of my life"- He had some intense observations of life, relationships, etc. in his day. The music is "southern california" for sure- flowing guitar; keyboards, etc.
-Jason Wilber: Live and Otherwise (Vol 1); This was something Jason put together in 2006- some songs are off other CD's of his, there is an audience and a little between song intro's etc. This is a good intro to Jason (I think) with a good mix of styles of music, some good lyrics/ story songs, etc. I am getting dangerous thinking what I want to do with "lost in your hometown"- having a short film making contest for young people here in the neighborhood - taking footage after listening to this song.........
-Jerry Garcia Band: (1st CD) of Shining Star; ah Jerry, you did it so well; hard not to be steeled to missing the fella. 7 songs, all carrying you far into the music; didn't even get to the second CD- plenty to get immersed in after a too long absence from Jerry Garcia Band as primo traveling music.
-Billy Bragg and Wilco: Mermaid Avenue (what becomes Vol 1). These are lyrics that Woody Guthrie's daughter found, and asked these cool cats to come up with music for. They done a nifty job, didn't they???? They got a little Natalie Merchant vocals on some; do some trading off. Put together some great, memorable tunes, that will be timeless extensions of Woody. Too many good ones to pick a favorite- if you haven't listened for a while; you say, oh that's my favorite, and then another comes along.... finishing with "unwelcome guest." Oh that's my favorite.
So there it is; a diverse mix to get me across the state and back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home