tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Saturday, December 08, 2007

someone else's review of the show last night from the JP Shrine already posted

This is someone else's review of last night's show; already posted on the JPShrine fan website; just for a different perspective; the opinions expressed are the authors and not necessarily those of the blog :


Drove down to West-By-God-Virginia last night for show at Municipal Auditorium - a delapidated old theater hidden away on an anonymous streetcorner in Charleston. I mean, I didn't even see a sign/marquee on the place - just saw a bunch of people ambling into a side door and so followed them in. The place had two bathrooms and one line for beer. And you were allowed to go outside into the parking lot in between sets without anyone even glancing at your ticket or questioning yer re-entry. Old School! The theater itself was not very impressive - no ornate decor - no recent rehab - just a small, old, utilitarian-type venue. Anyway, it seemed about perfect for a John Prine show in WV.The sound during Todd Snider's set was horrendous - one of the worst echoes I've ever heard and it made me nervous for what was to come. However, Todd blew the crowd away - They (and I) loved him!! He probably should've played longer.Initially when John came out I felt a bit of shock. I have not seen him perform in many years and he initially seemed old, chubby, and kinda tired, and his band looked smug and too-polished. BUT, this impression did not last long. It quickly became apparent that this was a special night with an incredible American treasure who is still very much in the game. His voice was great, the songs better than ever, and the crowd was in the palm of his hand. The old favorites became sing-alongs and the sad songs left me teary. I mean c'mon, Sam Stone has got to be the saddest song EVER written. I can't do setlist justice but will list some songs he played in no particular order:SouvenirsFish and whistleAll the bestAin't hurtin nobodyAngel form montgomeryHappy enchiladaSam stoneDear AbbySweet revengeLake marieHello in therePlease don't bury meIllegal smileParadiseChristmas in Prison (with Santa hat thrown from the crowd)and more,more,more...So glad i went. I've seen John 3 times before - years ago with Bonnie Raitt, then with Nanci Griffith, then maybe Lost Dogs tour. This show was the best!! Incredible....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home