tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Greens review for Front Row 4/25/08

With Jeff in the drum kit subbing in for Nate, the Greens played to a packed Front Row, with lots of excitement and energy flowing. Ben entered the scene for the Greens set, while Jeff and Andy had played during the open set by Coal Canary; both of them putting in a hard working night of diverse music. The crowd was quickly into calling out requests which Andy worked hard to juggle into the set list- I'm sure making a shambles of any thing he had in mind! Lots of Greens requests so that's always hard to pass up, unlike the sometimes "out of the blue" cover requests, bands often have to wade through. It was a non-stop barrage of dance-able tunes with many folks out on the dance floor for hours at a time. The Greens give you a lot of different beats and opportunities to jump around in all different ways during the course of a show. Because of the opening act, a lot of songs get left out of a "half night" show, but it still represented a good cross section of their most crowd pleasing songs. The end of the night was prolonged by enthusiastic requests piled on requests- apocalypso was especially strong, and what is that smell? was well received right there at the end. I didn't keep a set list, as I knew there was going to be a break in my writing down the songs, and sure enough I missed Thunderwear and probably two more in there somewhere, right after big ol betsy. There get to be pretty big gaps in my visits to the Front Row, and that's too bad, because its a good atmosphere, and holds great Greens and Andy solo memories, as well as the GREAT national touring acts Bill manages to bring through there. Bill's got his May line up posted: Mike Morningstar and Rick Roberts on the 2nd, Jon Seymour and the Front on the 9th. Larry Neeley Band on the 16th (Susan sings with this ensemble, and we are definitely going to take in one of their shows, unfortunately it might not be able to be this one, as the Hocking Folk Festival is that weekend). We have our Bob Dylan birthday tribute at the Front Row on Saturday May 24th. Jason Ricci and New Blood is back in town on May 29th (THursday) and then the Greens finish up the month on the 30th. That's quite a May line up of live music there at the Front Row, come out and support live music (something you can't get at home!!!). I told Kelly I'd be in several times leading up to the benefit on the 24th.

Andy was headed back after the show, and the Greens play in Pittsburgh on Sunday- so follow up on that with them to see how it goes. I told Danny I just don't think I can make that trip- squeezed in between the Hank Williams benefit tonight, and MOnday morning work! I do squeeze in a birthday there somewhere.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home