tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Clay Eals book: Facing the Music (Steve Goodman)

Clay Eals noted my referring to his book in my post earlier in the day; which I appreciated his acknowledgment. The book is celebrating the one year anniversary. There have been excellent reviews of it, and as he has toured the country at book signings there have been musical tributes and the like. Steve Goodman, especially as seen through the eyes of such a thorough and caring biography, fits all the more importantly into the lives and music of many other musicians I have followed through the years since the early 70's. His version of "The Vegetable Song" (Barnyard Dance) was one that I quickly picked up an accapella version of, to amaze and baffle "generations" of staff and residents of the emergency shelter I have worked with for a number of years. To then find out more about Steve's interest in the string bands that folks like Carl Martin played in; and to trace their roots back down to WV and VA was and added bonus. That mandolin work is great. In the latest "e-mail" update from Clay, he talks about someone finding some video footage of Steve talking his way through a broken string, ad libbing a song. I will seek this out. I should connect Andy to that one, too.

1 Comments:

At 5:15 AM, Blogger Beetle said...

I have the video you are referencing. It is Steve Goodman Live from Austin City Limits ...and More! Red Pajama Records RPJ - 500DVD It is an awesome video of a golden moment in time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home