tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Traveling music up and down I-77

As mentioned yesterday, today was woman's day in the CD player for the travel down to Charleston and back. Kathleen Coffee's premiere CD (self titled!!) was in, carried over from last night. Her CD (live performance) is amazing for a debut album- lots of confidence in songs, voice, and instruments.
Then it was good ol' Lucinda- Essence. As I have said many times (I believe) Lucinda is my favorite female singer! Always good to get a good dose.
Then it was Angel Band for a full length listen. This is an excellent CD- just all the things I had said previously: great harmonies, good mix of styles, good musicianship by "Chum." Its got parts of gospel-y sounds, the second song rollicks with a Cajun style; there are mountain ballads, modern type ballads, more spiritual/ gospel sounding things. Sweet Honey in the Rock kind-of stuff; And the lyrics are solid; down to earth, uplifting, diverse, great turns of phrases.

Finished up with Holly Long; the one Patrick had sent to me a few months ago; this time around sounding familiar and appreciated. You don't like to compare/ name drop comparisons, but you hear similarities to Cowboy Junkies, Over the Rhine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home