tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

John Prine's meandering through my years

I mainly grew up in the suburbs of a midwestern town. My high school years were unremarkable for the times, with school, sports, and 60's music dominating. As I went off to college at a private college "down-state," I was fairly quickly having horizons expanded in terms of "social awareness" and consciousness-raising sorts of things. At college, being a confusing mix of fairly "comfortable" with myself, but also mainly on the shy, introverted side, I went in two directions: one, becoming pretty politically/ peace movement oriented, and two, getting pretty intrigued with folk music/ singer songwriter / reflective type stuff.
A dorm mate, down the hall, was from Indiana. He connected me to the music of John Prine, at the time, who was really just probably "breaking out" from the Chicago scene, to a wider audience (see Clay Eals book on Steve Goodman, for a thorough recounting of this interesting era). I don't know exactly where this fellow first encountered Prine's music, but it was really just the first two albums at the time: the self titled debut, and either Sweet Revenge, or Diamonds in the Rough. We quickly memorized that first album, and marveled (as obviously many others did then and since) that a debut album could contain so many unbelievable songs, and human stories, and catchy observations and lines. So there has been a constant connection ever since, 1972 with John Prine's music. As I left college after two years, and spent several years living in voluntary poverty, traveling the country, and sitting around circles of guitar players, the songs of John Prine kept re-emerging, and widening the links to kindred spirits. Its another "leap" of a few years, evolving from albums to cassettes, and following the beginning of his own label, after he struggled with "corporate" music business, and trying to be "classified" as a certain type of music. In the early 80's eagerly listening for, and reading for, any signs of touring, putting out a new album, linking with other musicians, etc. I followed his career and kept a steady appreciation for the value, importance of his songs, his outlook on life, to me.
I have no way of recalling clearly when I saw him in Charleston at the old Capitol Theater downtown, with Arlo Guthrie, and who knows who else.
The recent barrage of shows began when Andy was living in Wheeling, and I saw he was going to be playing up there at that old theater downtown. I got enough tickets to bring a little group together to go see that show. As it turns out, Andy's gal, (they are getting married this summer) was there, too, and it became a point of connection for them when they met a few months later).
Now we (some combination of the Tuck household) have seen John Prine in the past few years at: the Newport Folk Festival in Rhode Island, at a free outdoor show in Pittsburgh at a city park, Cleveland, Ashland KY, Louisville, Cincinnati (a group of 11!!), Prestonsburg KY, Lexington KY (2 nights in a row), Charleston WV. These all have been shows where Jason Wilber (and Dave Jacques) have been accompanying John, for the memorable sound that creates such a great version of the songs. The audiences are always amazing- the range of ages, the sing alongs, the t-shirts, the enthusiasm and anticipating at the door going in.
I have held a John Prine Birthday tribute as a benefit for the agency I work for, for the past 5 years (this fall will be the 6th annual). I bring together local musicians who play a set of songs, we have some fun little trivia contests, we give away door prizes, and homemade trophies for prizes, and enjoy the comraderie of John Prine's music and impact on many lives. I regularly visit the "john Prine Shrine" website, which is an excellent connector for Prine fans.

I am excited to have Jason Wilber come perform here in Parkersburg next Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home