tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

traveling music yesterday -clarksburg and return

This is one of the shorter trips, and I usually am too ambitious as to how much music I can squeeze into this trip. I was feeling kind of guilty because I hadn't listened to Tommy Womack for a while after the exciting show in Pomeroy, and my manic enthusiasm for his music right after that. I thoroughly enjoyed "There I said it" upon re-connecting to it. Likewise, I was feeling guilty about not having listened to Jason Wilber for a while, since the great flurry of listening around the time he was here in the Mid Ohio Valley, and I got really engrossed in his songs. I listened to "lost in your hometown" and was taken back intensely to the feeling of appreciation for his great writing skills, and delivery of his music. I finished up with Mermaid Ave. (vol. II) in honor of the Woody Guthrie tribute show coming up next week. I wish I could re-create "against the law" in some version - such a great social commentary song across the years. To sit in awe of 1) not only Woody writing the lyrics "joe dimaggio done it again"- but to have Wilco and Billy Bragg take lyrics like that and weave them into a "modern song" is worthy of amazement. Stetson Kennedy makes you realize topical songs CAN BE timeless, even though hardly anyone today would have any understanding of WHO stetson kennedy was, the song still stands up. It makes the perspective that "topical" songwriters today, can still expect their songs COULD stand up............ speaking of which: Steve Earle tomorrow night in Nelsonville at Stuart's opera house. Remember the controversy when Steve Earle wrote the song shortly after 9/11 and the start of the wars in the middle east, about the american young person who joined the taliban or el quaida, or whatever. Ol' Steve got himself embroiled in a lot of controversy then, didn't he? The song HOt Rod Hotel is an eerily timeless song, too. Good stuff like that. So, I had the other Tommy Womack CD, another Jason Wilber, and the other Mermaid Ave. CD all in the car, but ran out of Rt. 50 mileage before I could play them. Oh, I fall behind playing all the music I want to hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home