tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Woody Guthrie song- The Great Historical Bum

(The Great Historical Bum)I'm just a lonesome traveler, The Great Historical Bum.Highly educated from history I have come.I built the Rock of Ages, 'twas in the Year of OneAnd that was about the biggest thing that man had ever done.I worked in the Garden of Eden, that was the year of two,Joined the apple pickers union, I always paid my due;I'm the man that signed the contract to raise the rising sun,And that was about the biggest thing that man had ever done.I was straw boss on the Pyramids, the Tower of Babel, too;I opened up the ocean let the migrant children through,I fought a million battles and I never lost a one,And that was about the biggest thing that man had ever done.I beat the daring Roman, I beat the daring Turk,Defeated Nero's army with thirty minutes work,I fought the greatest leaders and I licked them everyoneAnd that was about the biggest thing that man had ever done.I stopped old Caesar's Romans, and I stopped the Kubla Khan;I took but half an hour's work to beat the Pharaoh's bands;I knocked old Kaiser Bill flat, then I dumped the bloody Huns,And that's about the biggest thing that man has ever done.I was in the Revolution when we set the country free;Me and a couple of Indians that dumped the Boston tea;We won the battle at Valley Forge, the battle of Bully Run;And that was about the biggest thing that man has ever done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home