tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Woody Guthrie's song: "while we're on the subject of hard work"

While we are on the subject of hard work, I just wanted to tell you that I am a man who likes hard work.I was born working and I worked my way up by hard work.I ain’t ever got no where, but I got there byhard work.Work of the hardest kind.I been down and I been outI been disgusted I been busted and I couldn’t be trusted.I worked my way up and I worked my way downI been drunk and I been sober.I been baptized and hyjacked.Worked my way in jail and I worked my way outta jailWoke up a lot of mornin’s, didn’t know where I was at.The hardest work I ever done was when I was tryin’ to get myself a worried woman to help ease my worried mind.I’m gonna tell ya just how much work I had to do to get this woman I was tellin’ you aboutI shook hands with 97 of her kinfolk and her blood relatives and I done just the same with 86 people whos’ just her friends and her neighborsI kissed 73 babies and put dry pants on 34 of em’ well as othersDone this same thing well there are a lot of other things just like this.I held 125 wild horses and put saddles and bridles on more than thatHarnessed some of the wildest and craziest teams in that whole countryI rode 14 loco broncos to a stand stillAnd I let 42 hound dogs lick me all over, 7 times I’s bit by hungry dogs and I was chewed all to pieces by rattlesnakes and water moccasins on 2 river bottomsI chopped and carried 314 arm loads of stove wood109 buckets of coalCarried a gallon of kerosene 18 miles over the mountainsGot lost – lost a good pair of shoes in a mudholeAnd I chopped and weeded 48 rows of short cotton13 acres of bad cornI cut the sticker weeds out of 11 back yardsAll on account of cuz I wanted to show her that I was a man and I liked to workI cleaned out 9 barn loftsCranked 31 cars, all makes and modelsPulled 3 cars out of mud holes, and 4 or 5 out of snow driftsI dug 5 cisterns of water for some of her friendsRun all kinds of errandsPlayed the fiddle for 9 church meetin’sI Joined 11 separate denominationsI joined up and signed up with 7 best trade unions I could findI paid my wages, um, a, dues 6 months in advanceI waded 48 miles of swamps and 6 big riversWalked across 2 ranges of mountains and crossed 3 desertsI got the fever, Sun stroke, Malaria, blue, moonstruck, skeeter bit, Poison Ivy and the 7-year itch and the blind staggersI was give up for less, lost and dead a couple of timesStruck by lightning, struck by Congress, struck by friends and kinfolks well as by 3 cars on highways A lot of times in people’s hen-housesI been hit and run down run over and walked on knocked around.I’m just sittin’ here now tryin’ to study up what else I can do to show that women that I still ain’t afraid of hard work

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home