tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Friday, July 25, 2008

a report on some of the venues in town

The word was right, the Wheel House will be re-opening soon under new management. They have been spiffing it up (no major changes in the building/ layout I understand). This new management will operate all three floors (the big upstairs ballroom, the main floor bar area, and the basement room, as well as the poker machine area).

I stopped in to check out the 5th St. Pub last night, as a potential location for future benefits, live music shows. There is a newly built stage and the operator has certain plans for different expansions/ remodeling. There is not a lot of seating for my type shows- it seems geared towards the music where people like to stand/ dance/ sway / jump up and down throughout the show; so that would need to be creatively addressed. I got a good first impression of the fellow running the place. I'll muse on that some more.

I feel like a homeless waif with my benefits as my venues drop away; maybe I jinx the places.

Bogies was a certain vantage point demise in the Parkersburg music scene, because of its length of time, and certain era. Many of the others that came and went quickly are hardly recalled (Hagie's Cabana comes to mind!) The Front Row is sentimental, just because Bill was such a kindred spirit and contemporary in the music eras. We'll just keep our ears open, and seek out opportunities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home