tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

major heavy heart

It was with a major funk/ glum / heavy heart, that I get word that the Front Row is ending its fine run as a Parkersburg live music venue. I am really bummed. Its going to take a while to process the impact; not only all the hard work Bill did bringing in the national touring acts, to spark a little enjoyment, but the special connection with the Greens and Andy's acoustic shows. (The Thanksgiving tradition over the last 6-8 years comes to mind....) I expect that there will be some exchange of dialogue among the loyal live local music scene folks about the implications and conclusions folks may want to draw.
Please, Please, Please, come out to the Weedhawks show on July 31st, and the Watermelon Slim show on Aug. 3rd to give Bill's efforts a fitting send off. The Weedhawks will be a great show I promise you. Please visit their my space site, and let it immerse you in their world and great music and fun. Tell your friends, help out a good cause, and visit the Front Row one last time before it undergoes its changes.

3 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger jackscrow said...

What happened? Did Bill just run the books and decide it wasn't making money, or is the bar itself going to change????

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger steve tuck said...

good insight; a little of both; I believe its going to be a poker machine/ keno place exclusively after some remodeling. I'll be eagerly scouring for other live music venues close by.......

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger jackscrow said...

Too bad. It's a tough music world out there in the bars.

I remember getting paid $200 for a three hour open stage 8 years ago. Guys are running them now for $50. Or free for the love of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home