tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Six Pence Pub's Wednesday open mike

Ah, the Open Mike's. I haven't attended an open mike in a while. Upon the urging of Matt Starcher, I ventured out to 6 Pence Pub on 7th St. in Parkersburg last evening. I recaptured the fun of the unknown and unexpected of the open mike. Woody Hupp hosts this one, and a guy introduced as "bones" also contributed great versatility to the line up, playing drums, keyboards, electric guitar, singing. They portray the essence of open mike's- trying to draw people in, giving lots of encouragement, just seeing what comes up! Matt just did one song while I was there, but it was a great one. The two gals did an energetic and spirited set, with their own ready made fan club. Susan belted out some standards with great voice. This Wednesday night open mike seems to be pretty established there, which is always a significant thing; something that a certain group of folks can count on, and yet loose and flexible enough to go in some different directions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home