tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Todd Burge going to the Americana Music Festival

I was excited to see that Todd Burge will be participating in the Americana Music Assocation Festival next week in Nashville. He is part of a session honoring Blind Alfred Reed (of the WV MUsic Hall of Fame); and which the CD was distributed last year. Todd will be singing an accapella version of "There'll be No Distinction there" with Kathy Mattea and Tim O'Brien, and the song he did on the CD "The Telephone Girl" and Black and Blue Blues. Others performing include: Connie Smith, Kathy Mattea, Tim O'Brien, Charlie McCoy, John Lilly, The Carpenter Ants. Blind Alfred Reed was a precursor to topical song writers like Woody Guthrie in the depression era. His "how can a poor man stand such times and live" is an pertinent today as it was back in the depression era. His quirky songs are well known to afficionados of roots music and topical songs. Song subjects include the battle of the sexes, hypocrisy, modern inventions like the telephone, train wrecks, and mine cave ins. There's a video at www.properamerican.com
I'll be trying to give a further update on Todd's trip to the Festival over the next two weeks. This is a festival I'd like to make it to some year; I've been following it for some time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home