tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I just wish I could write previews like this:Tonight: SEE and HEAR the “postmodern jug band” known as Asylum Street Spankers, whose music blogcritics.org describes as “one part blues, one part old-time jazz and one part Western swing. Skim any excessive seriousness off of the surface and add a liberal splash of humor. Shake briskly and enjoy. And I do mean enjoy.” NPR writes, “Their music is drawn mostly from the early 20th century, yet many of the lyrics aren't suitable for NPR -- they're a bit too naughty. But as Jacki Lyden notes, the act is witty and wacky, a bit reminiscent of the late, great Spike Jones and his orchestra.” The Japan Times (!) writes, “Sex, drugs and other staples of rock 'n' roll excess dominate the lyrics, but don't expect mosh pits at their shows. The Spankers play acoustic blues and hot jazz -- well, sort of. Their genre-bending formula mixes the clarinets and fiddles of ragtime and Tin Pan Alley with the guitar picking of country-western, blues and roots-rock. Mark Keresman of Jazz Review once described them as ‘a cross between R. Crumb & His Cheap Suit Serenaders, Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks, Tom Waits and The Squirrel Nut Zippers, with a touch of the mutant/eclectic sarcasm-rock of Camper Van Beethoven and They Might Be Giants!’” (This is a preview of tonights show at the beachland ballroom in cleveland ohio...... where the famous look alike picture of me in my croatian outfit resides.......)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home