tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Harry Smith project DVD previewing

I previewed (finally!) the DVD documentary of the Harry Smith project. It was a fantastic and fascinating movie. I hope I can convey to those not familiar with it, what an intriguing musical history work this is- I hope that I can, because this will be the first movie in the film series, which I hope to announce over the next few days for the end of the month. This is current performers recreating some of the songs from the original "anthology of american folk music" from the 50's that Harry Smith collected and put together. This body of work influenced many, many musicians throughout the 50's into the 60's, and then had a revival of interest in the 90's, culminating in the concerts and this collection on up into the 2000's. Check it out if you can pursue the web search in your own way to track it down. If you need leads let me know. There are some clips of concert footage of the various / diversified performers from the modern era; and lots of interview footage from an eclectic mix of musicians, and folklorist/ music history buffs. There is black and white film footage of scenes from the old south- front porch groups of musicians, etc. that are great. There is a lot of footage of Harry himself in all his eccentric glory. I'll be excited to share this with some music-lover folks if they've never been exposed to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home