tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Monday, November 05, 2007

traveling music today across wild wonderful WV

I haven't posted my traveling music for a while. THe CD player is broke in the one car, so I haven't been really HAVING some traveling music lately when I go on my excursions around the state. But today I did. It was a (starting out) beautiful fall day of color- I guess its what we get for "peak" this year. And then on the way home (from Flatwoods) it was a gully-washer rain storm, with semi's spraying up a huge chaotic foam of gunk and people going all variables of speed from creeping along cautiously to dare devil flying and hydroplaning and zooming along. So I listened to 5 CD's in this order:
Mary Gauthier (Between Daylight and Dark) - this was a first listening of her new CD. I love listening to a new CD the first time driving alone so I can get the feeling for it; it will take several listenings but I love her stories and her catching of a phrase; and of course, her voice is great, right up there with Lucinda's for southern, and worldly-wise.
2) Anais Mitchell (The Brightness) - after having Anais here in September, and checking her my space site frequently, I have felt I knew her songs somewhat, but really enjoyed this closer, more attentive listen. Her voice is great, the instrumentation is excellent, and yes, her words are poetic and rich, and portray a great observer and experience-r of life.
3) Corinne West (Second Sight)- I have been listening to this in my office, but get the interruptions- I have clearly enjoyed the voice and instruments, and the varying tempos of the songs, and the balance between sounding traditional and freshly new. NOw, with some familiarity to the songs, I could listen more attentively in the care, so enjoyed it all the more. She is in Cleveland tuesday night at the beachland ballroom, and it would definitely be a worthwhile trek.
4) Will Kimbrough (Americanitis): Will, Todd Snider buddy, co-writer/ etc. with Adrienne Young, - this is good stuff; a good mix of social / political conscience/ consciousness and good observations of life in general. Good mix of types of music.
5) Robert Earl Keen (Live at the Ryman): a good compilation played live at the grand ol opry homeland- good mix of songs from different eras/ CD's lots of good hard driving band work- the fun little christmas song in there.

So that was a good little road trip music adventure. More to come on Thursday, when I head back to the same destination for a work meeting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home