tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Vinyl Record sale tomorrow - bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I scheduled this Vinyl Record Sale outside about 2 months ago, praying for an earlier spring. So stop by and bring me a cup o' soup or hot chocolate or sumpin', cause I'm going be cold I think.
This is something like the third or fourth year I've been building up this vinyl record sale gig. The Sound Exchange, on Murdoch in Parkersburg/ Vienna (?) graciously hosts some of these events, and the management has been very friendly/ encouraging/ accommodating, and I try to plug them every chance I get, as a great little independent business. I set up a table out front, and hoist my records out of the car, and let people browse through them. Its all pretty much just a dollar a record, to make the negotiating easy. Stop on by and take a nostalgia trip down musical memory lane, looking at record covers you haven't seen for a long time, and make some interesting musical connections between "who played with who"- etc. This is yet another fund raising effort, so even if you don't buy, or find anything you like, drop a donation in the jar- support the work of Children's HOme Society of WV-Parkersburg in our work with area children and families. I've been overwhelmed with responses of donations of records, and am reeling with the sorting and attempts to make sense of the myriad of music - there is some vintage and likely valuable stuff in here, and some real treasures from people's past, that they have entrusted me to take care of, and pass on to people with an appreciation for the history of this music and this musical format. I hope I can do them justice. I will be holding back some of the stuff, trying to organize a better overall game plan for an on-going way to display them to the public, and let people browse in a more on-going relaxed way than occasional "flea market" type sales. There is a ton of interesting stuff to go through, and more out there for sure. I had to begin to turn people away from donation the response was so fantastic. I have kept the names and phone numbers, so that if I develop a decent game plan, I will contact these other folks and pick up their collections. I may have turned down the best gold mine for another that wasn't so great.
I am already gearing up for the follow up event- April 19th is national independent record store day, and so i'll talk to the sound exchange about some sort of local celebration with give aways and nostalgia and promoting a good concept!!! I hope to gather some "oral history" of record stores from the past in the Parkersburg area, such as Current Records, which was just up on the corner from me here- at 19th and Dudley/ St. Mary's where there is a tattoo place now- if anyone has pictures of the store, or any memorabilia from there, I will be appreciative. So that is enough for this post, more later!!! I'll have some examples of records that are on display, and people's reactions to the collection I have amassed after tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home