tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

First, the record sale recap

I had an enjoyable day, in the brisk March 1st air, selling vinyl records in front of Sound Exchange yesterday. This benefit fund raiser (lots of work on my part!!!) raised over $300, (some advance sales in there!) by selling records at $1 a piece. So lots of records were pored over, and many hopefully happy music lovers on their way with some new tunes (or old tunes as it were). Lots of good eclectic mix going out- so that keeps me pumped that the odd mix I have is worth continuing. I had many of my "regulars" eagerly waiting for me at 10 am- got the table set up while keeping the wolves at bay, and then the feeding frenzy began- the first 45 -60 minutes is CRAZY- then it tapers off, but a steady stream of folks. THanks to Kim and Brendan for spelling me for a quick bit to eat at Tim Horton's. Thanks to Joe, Melissa, and Elmer at the Sound Exchange, they are very friendly and hospitable to me, and encouraging and enthusiastic. Melissa has a shrewd eye for some good records, and quickly picks some that have some sort of interest for her- she called some folks up and they stopped by. Two donors brought records right there on the spot, and one set was very good- the first arrivers even missed these good records, so there were some good ones left for folks later in the day. Its on to the next sale- April 19th, which is "national independent record store day." Stay tuned for more announcements of some possible special events leading up to that celebration, in conjunction with the sound exchange. My little creative wheels are turning....... hope to get some dialogue going about the value of independent businesses in the community, and especially local independent music outlets........ thanks to everyone who donated; bought, encouraged, tolerated, put up with...... etc etc. etc.. forging on to the next one (after lugging a ton of boxes all over God's creation the rest of the day yesterday and all day today.......- ooohhhh my achin' back)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home