tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Owen Temple and Adam Carroll last night in Parkersburg

I went to a great house concert at John Radcliff's house on Quincy Hill last night. He has some regular "song pulls" there, and these occasional house concerts. The song pulls feature local songwriters, who have written a song within the last 30 days prior to the event. They seem to have built quite a good comraderie among local musicians. John's house is very classy in the old downtown area, with nice floors, woodwork, windows, furnishings. A very welcoming venue for a house concert! The two musicians were great "hard travelin' storytellers and good songsmiths. They traded songs, helped each other out, with harmonica, guitar and vocals; were both engaging and entertaining, and modest in their place in the world of music. They are in the Texas songwriter category, but have a wide view, and are good observers of the human condition. They are funny, and relaxed in their approach to the intimacy of the house concert. You can check out their my space sites, and they have downloads, CD's, and a tour schedule to give you a flavor of their musical world. I talked to Owen more of the two at the set break, and enjoyed hearing his take on his musical life. Their "alter ego" country singer- Gary Floater is a great hilarious concept, and they undoubtedly get a lot of good mileage with new audiences across the country with this creative concept. That will stick with me, and endear them to me as a stand out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home