tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Monday, October 05, 2009

John Prine Tribute show - less than a week countdown

We are in the home stretch to promote the John Prine Tribute show this coming Saturday night, October 10th here in Parkersburg. 9 Pm at 6 Pence Pub on 7th St. $5 donation, to support the work of Children's Home Society of WV. A bunch of great, enthusiastic musicians will each play a set of songs honoring the music of John Prine.
I go back (interrupt me if I've already told you this) a long way in my love of John Prine's songs. I was a confused college freshman or sophomore at Wittenberg University in Springfield Ohio. A dorm mate introduced me to the music of John Prine, with a copy of the original self-titled album. We listened to that thing for hours, and chuckled at the funny songs, and got hooked with the story songs, and great slant on the "human condition." Sweet Revenge and Diamonds in the Rough followed; moving sideways to discovering Steve Goodman (Somebody Elses Troubles), and the rest is history. Learning a few Prine songs on the guitar in the next few years, enough to play around campfires and such.
When I walk down my street route to my daily (usually) exercise walk, and hear John PRine tunes coming from the house where all the workers live who work for the roofing company down the street, it perks me up/ gets my attention / gives me a sense of connection with other Prine afficiando's everywhere.
Hope you'll come out an enjoy a great evening of music, and some good comaraderie with some other great folks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home