tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Old, Weird America showing this Friday 7:30 pm

I had a dream last night about this first effort to show a movie in my community room at CHS. It was pretty chaotic, but at least it was a good crowd- there was a lot of shuffling of chairs around, and fighting for the comfortable seats. The movie wasn't what I thought it was, but it was still good and captivating for the audience. The movie WILL BE CAPIVATING! There are some interesting connections made across generations of music; and there is some thought provoking insights into the impact of music/ culture on each other. I haven't worked real hard at publicity- just wanting to see what comes of it. The snow today is putting a damper on getting some handbill flyers out to some store's bulletin boards- maybe the next few days in the evenings......
So, a recap of the details: I'll be showing the documentary DVD "The Old Weird America" the harry smith anthology of american folk music tribute concerts held in 1999 and 2001 at several locations, on Friday January 26th at 7:30 pm at 1739 St. Mary's Ave. Suite 3 (the middle door). I'm asking a $1 donation, though larger donations are gratefully accepted, to further both the Americana Music Tribute Series, and the work of Children's Home Society of WV. There will be seating for 40-50 people. We'll try to have some popcorn and soft drinks and coffee!!! I will be having a few ideas for future movies keeping with the Americana music theme, but will be open to suggestions for others. I will be asking for some help getting publicity out for the JOhnny Cash tribute show, Feb. 23rd- some flyers to take around; ideas for door prizes and raffle prizes for the year long series. For future films, if there is a musician theme, I might have a short set of songs by someone around that musicians' theme- like Steve Goodman, Townes Van Zandt or Gram Parsons.

1 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a secret fan of this blog for a while. I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home