tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Americana Music Film Series- second event

As part of my year long Americana Music Tribute Series (benefits for Children's Home Society of WV-Parkersburg) I will be having the second in the "off month" Americana Music Film Series Friday, March 23rd at 7 pm. The showing of Margaret Brown's film: "Be Here to Love Me"- a film about the life of Townes Van Zandt. It features performances and interviews by Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou Harris, Steve Earle, Guy Clark, and many others. If you've never heard of Townes Van Zandt, you are in for an intriguing treat, to be exposed to his life and music- you'll wonder how he slipped through your musical cracks. If you know of his impact on many other musicians, but haven't seen this movie, you'll be truly inspired by the connections and insights provided. And if you just like good story telling, you'll love this movie- some of the stories by Guy Clark and some of the other compadres are hilarious- they fill you full of the richness of life. There is some very interesting old footage of Townes himself, and some family archives type footage that is impressively gathered and worked through the film.
The movie will be shown at 1739 St. Marys Ave. Parkersburg. I might remember to collect a $1 donation. Its pretty dark in the parking lot but we'll be in the third storefront back with a cheery glow from within if you can make your way. I've got Gram Parsons, Steve Goodman films lined up for later months, but some others can be squeezed in here too. I'm sorry more folks didn't come out for the Harry Smith anthology documentary in January. I am willing to loan it out.
Townes Van Zandt is the subject of the famous line by steve earle: "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that."

1 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Clay Eals said...

Good to see your post about the film series and Steve Goodman. He often doesn't get his due. Thought you might be interested in an eight-year project of mine that is coming to fruition -- a biography of Goodman that will be published this spring. Please e-mail me at ceals@comcast.net if you would like me to e-mail you a background sheet on the book. Or check my Internet site below.

Clay Eals
1728 California Ave. S.W. #301
Seattle, WA 98116-1958

(206) 935-7515
ceals@comcast.net
http://www.clayeals.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home