tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

I have to give some reminder updates

I have to give some reminder updates (sorry)

Our Bob Dylan Birthday Tribute is Saturday, May 24th starting at 9 pm at the Front Row on Emerson Ave. in Parkersburg. This is a benefit for the agency I work for: Children's Home Society of WV, donation is $5. We work with children and families in the area, and can assure you this fund raiser helps our work, and helps give a boost to some families. Local musicians play sets of songs, donating their time to this cause, and their enthusiasm for live local music. I have a number of commitments, and will be checking back with some others this week. By next weekend I should have a pretty definite line up. Dylan's song list is way too long to worry about covering even "eras" very well, so we'll just be happy for whatever mix we get. I usually have a few trivis type contests waiting in the wings to fill in some time between set up for the next act, but I don't need to use these if the music is flowing well. I bring some door prizes to keep the festivities cheery.

Jason Wilber is coming to my neighborhood center for a coffee house / house concert atmosphere on Sunday, June 8th at 7 pm. Tickets for this are $15 (contact me). There is limited seating, so I need to know ahead of time. This is at 1739 St. Mary's Ave. in Parkersburg. I have been in correspondence with Jason since last fall's show in Charleston about coming to this area. On Saturday, June 7th, he will be at the Mid OHio Valley Players theater in Marietta for a show wrapping up a full day of songwriter events. Todd Burge is hosting this great all day event. The Galley, up the street from the Theater is where most of the daytime activity will be. Visit www.songwriternight.com for more upcoming/ updated information. There will be a lot of local songwriters showcased, culminating in a few folks having the chance to open for Jason that evening. Jason has a my space site and a regular website to check out. We have seen him many times in the last 5-6 years as John Prine's lead guitarist. He has made a huge mark in these shows for his fine accompanying work. I greatly admire his solo work also. He has some great poignant lyrics, a great voice and great variety to his styles of music. He has a radio show (interviewing etc.) out of Bloomington Indiana, that most readers of this blog would enjoy.

The Nelsonville Art and Music Festival is next weekend. This has merged the Hock Hocking Folk Festival (which had been held at this time of year) with the other festival that had been in July for a few years. I have seen Greg Brown, Fred Eaglesmith, Iris Dement, Todd Snider, Stacey Earle and Mark Stuart among many good performers at these events. The Avett Brothers, Bettye Lavette, Justin Townes Earle, Red Stick Ramblers are among the most notable this year. Its starts Friday, and runs all day Saturday, and until 6 pm on Sunday.

I am hosting a third night of music at my neighborhood center on June 27th. The Stone Road Band will be performing that Friday night from 7 to 10 pm. They will be at the Dylan tribute, too prior to that for folks to check out. I will talk more about them in the lead up to the late June event.

Bill Poole has Jason Ricci coming to the Front Row again, so quickly after his winter show that wow-ed folks. This is May 29th a Thursday. Over the summer he has Walter Trout coming, and Watermelon Slim returning also. Keep checking back on these.

I don't know if the Court Street Grille sells advance tickets but Tommy Womack is going to be there June 13th. (Pomeroy Ohio).

This summarizes a bunch of good opportunities, and things with some great connections.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home