tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

traveling music today to Charleston and back

CD's I listened to today on a trip to Charleston and back.
First up: Bob Dylan's Slow Train Coming. I had loaned this to Tyler Storey to get some ideas of some songs to play at the Bob Dylan Tribute, so I had it out. "When you gonna wake up" is one of my landmark songs "when you gonna wake up and strengthen the things that remain" seems like a nice little approach to the craziness of our world. I guess this was the first signs of his "religious" period, but they are pretty solid songs.
Second CD up: Todd Snider's "Happy to Be Here" - just hadn't listened to that one in a while; good memory lane for when those songs first came out, and the excitement of hearing his creativity burst through. Long Year was such an achingly personal exposure song; db cooper extended the legacy of Todd's songs about unusual cultural / folk hero / real stories adapted to his story telling way. Had to hear Todd's version of "betty was black, willie was white" after hearing Will Kimbrough sing it the other day. Just the pretty much straight version of the ballad of the devil's back bone tavern. Some honky tonk, dixie land band / new orleans instrumentation on this one, that you tend to forget until re-hearing.

return trip: Mary Gauthier (between daylight and dark) - a frequent listen these days
finishing up with: Fred Eaglesmith: Tinderbox- getting familiar with it upon multiple listenings now.

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger jackscrow said...

I had high hopes for Tinderbox. Still not blown away after 2nd listen. BUT, I had the same reaction w/Dusty and got to like it.

Btw, good Will Kimbrough review.

As a regular at "da Ranch", I have to say this was the best main act I have ever seen there (Sorry, Chris Smither).

I've seen him four times now, not counting all those years with Todd Snider, and his bar shows are even better. He can really let loose.

He makes most of the Fur Peace acts seem a little "stodgy" and dated.

You really ought to check him out with Tommy Womack and Daddy. What a balls-out show.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger steve tuck said...

Thanks for the post- thanks for the encouragement- definitely sound like a great kindred spirit- I will try to catch Tommy Womack with Will- I saw Tommy open for Todd Snider at the Beachland Ballroom a few years ago. thanks again

 

Post a Comment

<< Home