tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Article about Greg Brown; with some background and current perspective

Greg Brown, Traverse City Opera House, September 21stRenowned folk singer/songwriter Greg Brown will return to NorthernMichigan to kick off the Grassroots Productions fall/winter concertseries (you might be familiar with Grassroots as the fine people whobring you the Dunegrass Festival.)Brown has been a long time favorite in Northern Michigan. For years hewould travel through the region doing a concert/fishing tour. Now 57years old, Brown only performs 50 to 60 concerts a year, not becausehe isn't in demand (he turns down gigs regularly) - quite thecontrary. It's because he has his priorities, those being family (hesplits time between his farm that his grandparents once owned insoutheastern Iowa and the Kansas City, Missouri home of his wife, folksinger Iris Dement) and maintaining balance in his life."As I travel the country I see a lonely place full of people with thisfalse notion that if they can buy enough, it will make them happy,"said Brown. "But that approach seldom works. You have to have balance.I find that as I get older I want things to be simple. It is hard inthis business at times to find that balance, and really it can be hardin any life to find that balance, so it has to be a choice."His words seem to resonate through the lyrics of many of his songs,which also often offer social commentary. His songwriting skills havebeen admired by many including Willie Nelson and Carlos Santana; bothhave had hits with Brown-penned tunes. Despite this, Brown has eludedthe trappings of a major label deal."I don't think these label people hear my songs and think, `well, thisis a way to make a bunch of money,' but I have done well regardless,"said Brown. "I have been supported by community radio and musicfestivals. It is amazing how many little community radio stations arestill out there."Brown's big break came from making regular appearances on GarrisonKeillor's "Prairie Home Companion" program on NPR. Brown was a weeklymusical guest during the mid `80s. He also has won several awards, andhas been nominated for a couple of Grammys, but refuses to attendaward ceremonies. "It's impossible for me to think of music as acontest," said Brown. "I am sure they are fun, but these awardceremonies have no meaning to me."What does have meaning to Brown are family, trout rivers, and seeingGeorge Bush leave office."I have been pretty appalled by some of things within the BushAdministration from day one that he went into office. I just don'tthink our country is headed in the right direction," said Brown. "Theway I responded in terms of my music was to write some songs in whichI spoke to the war the best that I could. I have played, and continueto play, those songs at my shows. I feel that everyone needs to speakout. Either through music or just standing together with others on thestreet corner and saying that I think the country is going in thewrong direction, or to stand on the corner and say our country isgoing down the right road."An avid outdoorsman and fisherman, Brown recently did a fundraiser tohelp protect the famed Yellowdog River in the Upper Peninsula. Theconcert was recorded and Brown allowed it to be released by Big Rapidsbased Eathwork Music as a CD to raise funds for the Yellowdog RiverWatershed, who are trying to prevent a British mining company frombuilding a processing plant along the river."It is almost embarrassing that I or anyone else has to do these sortof things (benefit fundraisers. ) You would think some things would beobvious like protecting our environment, taking care of our children,the elderly, or the poor," said Brown. "Apparently we find it easierto go off to war to kill then to address these issues."Brown won't be touting a cause when he returns to Northern Michigan,his first in the region since his appearance 2006 Dunegrass Festivalperformance in Empire. Brown said he misses Northern Michigan and thepeople here, and he's looking forward to returning."Early in my career the people in Northern Michigan were very good tome, they supported my music then and still do," said Brown.Brown's current release of original material is his 2006 album TheEvening Call. He continues to write, and plans to release a new CDsometime in 2008. His Traverse City concert will feature a collectionof favorites from the past and a few surprises. For additionalinformation on Brown, check out www.gregbrown. org, and for concerttickets call (231) 941-8082.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home