tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dylan Tribute fast approaching

Children's Home Society of West Virginia, from its Parkersburg site has been holding benefit fundraisers for several years under the umbrella of the "Americana Music Tribute Series." I chose "Americana" in the title because most of the artists I choose to focus on celebrating, can be gathered into this genre, at least passably. Johnny Cash, John Prine, Woody Guthrie, Hank Williams are some of the ones, who tend to fit Americana just fine. Bob Dylan might seem a little stretch, but shoot, he spans all kinds of stuff. So, May 30th, here in Parkersburg, at the 6 Pence Pub on 7th Street, starting at 9 pm we are having a Bob Dylan tribute. $5 will get you in for a great night of music, and some fun- contests, prizes, etc. Local musicians play sets of songs, contributing their own unique stylings. They pour their souls into their performances. Currently I've got Jonny Nutter and Stephen Peck (they are stalwarts / mainstays who play just about all the shows), Aaron Whited (I have to confirm an earlier conversation. I have Ken Barton - a new contact. Eric Lawson, who came down and played last year from Marietta. And I perhaps will flay out a tune or two. I hesitate to mention it till confirmed, but I am trying to get Andy to play a few songs before he gets started up at the Marietta Brewing Company at 10 pm later that night.
So there's perhaps a little more room on the line up. I keep in communication with these musicians to see how long they want to play, etc.
I am working on some other ideas for "multi-media" - or at least diversion, as well as some contests, and door prizes and traveling trophies again. I hope to retrieve the leopard skin pill box hat, and the foot coming through the phone line trophy. We'll revive the pictures Bill Poole took of last year's show in a bit. He juxaposed my face on Bob Dylan's body during Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid picture. Stuff like that. Spread the word, get some crowd out, help out a worthy cause, keep the legacy and excitement going for these epic tribute shows. We have built quite a history these past few years. The Dylan tribute promises to contribute further.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home