tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

woody guthrie enthusiasm

I was excited that someone came to ask me about the woody guthrie event and what some of his songs were; and a little perspective on his influence to music of later generations. Ken had obviously done some homework; so it was an easy sell. I gave him some song titles to check in to; I'll probably compile a list kinda like I did before the Johnny Cash show of songs that might commonly be requested to sing. Now, of course, Woody wrote 1000's of songs so it will only be a tip of the iceberg. I will gladly hope that some folks, exposed to woody guthrie songs from Wilco and Billy Bragg's mermaid avenue collections would choose those sorts of songs to perform. I recall fondly the Greens playing California Stars at new years eve show at the wheel house- with aaron phillips inspiration.
I got interrupted telling Ken about ramblin jack elliott and the 90th birthday tribute at the Ryman auditorium, and the ribbon of highway, endless skyway tour, and other things that will wait for another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home