tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Saturday, September 15, 2007

"protest singers" at Wittenberg

When I was a 18-19 year old, I got to see Phil Ochs and Holly Near, among several others I'm sure; when they would make tours through mid-west college towns during the war in vietnam protests. These were pretty powerful impressions and great opportunities. Then there were big demonstrations in washington dc with big name performers of the day. Soon after, it was mostly "home made" music for a few years among friends in the peace movement; learning a whole lot of those songs.
I don't recall much about music while in San Francisco in 1974; I don't think I had enough money to go to too many shows. I walked the city; finding haight-ashbury and the original grateful dead house. There were more events such as caesar chavez and the united farmworkers marches with its own blend of music. and then it was on to grand rapids, previously mentioned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home