tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Saturday, January 26, 2008

upcoming mountain stage (not tomorrow night- next week)

Getting back to Mountain Stage next Sunday (Feb. 3). The group we were excited to see is the Carolina Chocolate Drops, after seeing them in Nelsonville last summer. They are young folks who carry on the tradition of the black string bands from the Carolinas, etc.
Kane Welch Kaplin is another act. I had followed Kieran Kane since his days partnering with Jamie O'hara as the O'Kanes, a country act, in the 80's. Jamie O'Hara went to my high school back in Toledo, so we followed his intriguing evolution from a high school star athlete to a Nashville musician. The Cherryholmes (a family blue grass band- the dad has a long zz top beard and plays the bass- the children are featured instrumentalists and good energy and tight harmonies- they win a lot of awards and accolades. Bare Bones is a west virginia accapella group- they are featured on the west virginia music hall of fame tribute CD for blind alfred reed singing "there'll be no distinction there"- which is a great introduction (I imagine) to their music. And finally, the line up is rounded out by Claire Lynch, who I have not heard of- it appears to be in the bluegrass vein.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home