tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

vinyl record sales

I am gearing up for my first vinyl record sale of 2008. It will be on march 1st (weather cooperating?) in front of the Sound Exchange on Murdoch ave. in Parkersburg from 10 - 3. I have announced my interest in receiving donations of records and have had a few responses. To be honest, I am hoping and praying for a little more influx of good "classic rock" etc type donations, because I am somewhat depleted from stuff folks tend to be interested in. I have the offer of a huge (600 item) collection of classical music- that is probably very high quality, but unfortunately just not my "thing." I will take them cheerfully however, in hopes of some interest among the buying public.
I sorted through the big storage amount over in the basement at Latrobe St. over the weekend, I always find a few diamonds in the rough. I found a Connie Smith album- she is a grand ol opry legend, with WV roots. Marty Stuart had gone to see her as a child, and told his parents "i'm gonna marry that woman some day"- (she is 17 years his senior); and sure enough he did!!! There are a few like that that I dug out to bring over for the sale. But unfortunately, there is a TON of junk- I think I will have to have a Ray Coniff album destruction contest (I hope no Ray Coniff fans are going lynch me). I probably have 80 Ray Coniff records. I have over 20-30 Barbra Striesand records, too- so unless there is someone who just LOVES barbra, and wants the big collection, I will probably never sell those. Lots of Andy Williams, too. The Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass may just have a niche market; but I'm not hopeful. It is a deep history lesson in musical family trees to pitch in to these obscure older ones; hoping to see some intriguing thread of continuity to some thing that does interest you....... I will hate the day I pull the plug on some of them, and just throw them away.... aaarrrrggggghhhhhhhh that is against my purist beliefs. But.............. I likewise, get so tired of lugging them around, moving them around. etc. etc. etc

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home