tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Holmes Brothers tonight in Marietta

Virginia-born brothers Wendell and ShermanHolmes, along with drummer and master falsettistPopsy Dixon, distill modern African Americanmusic down to its essentials of blues, soul, andgospel. The current Holmes Brothersalbum, "State of Grace," features uniqueversions of songs by John Fogerty ("Bad MoonRising"), Hank Williams Sr. ("I Can't Help ItIf I'm Still In Love With You"), Nick Lowe("What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love AndUnderstanding?"), and Lyle Lovett ("God Will"),but the brothers are all fabulous originalsongwriters as well. There's a lot of gospel inthe soaring harmonies and heartfelt idealism ofthe Holmes Brothers--but a lot of the roadhouseas well. As Wendell says about their blend ofthe secular and the sacred, “Jesus turned waterinto wine, not wine into water.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home