tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

I gotta take a deep breath and try to get into this promoting work of the next few weeks

I've got several good projects coming up, and so any help spreading the word will be appreciated. Kathleen Coffee is up first, next Saturday night. She is a folk singer from the southern part of the state, who I met when we brought Anais Mitchell to Parkersburg last fall. She is a big fan of Anais', and Ani Difranco and similar musicians/ songwriters. So that is an immediate link and kindred spirit. She is coming to Parkersburg at my invitation (a long standing offer, that finally comes to pass!). I know she is an "unknown" up here, but I can guarantee an impressive evening of music if you come out. Bring some friends. I am doing this as a first try at having a coffee house atmosphere here at my work place. "Door number 3" as we say. Its a busy little hive during the day/ during the week, and may not be someone's usual idea of a music venue/ setting. But we'll see how it goes, and Kathleen is game for anything!!! I'm charging $5 just to cover costs; just to see how this "house concert" type setting works for us.
Second, is the second vinyl record sale of the year; April 19th in front of the Sound Exchange. I have been wanting to promote this as part of National Record Store Day (independent record stores!!!), but haven't been getting any cooperation from the newspaper, and with other busy-ness haven't been able to try some other ways of promoting it. I still have a few weeks, but any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Caena's enthusiasm for the record sale (last night at the Greens show) was very uplifting and energizing for me!!! Thanks! (she is also going to the Glenville show of the Greens that night- and is among the top Greens fans of all time- she is contagious in her enthusiasm and appreciation for their great good time music!!!) So anyway, the record sale is 10- 3 that day. Spread the word!! This is an on-going long term commitment of mine to share this classic form of music enjoyment, and try to keep it alive and kickin'.
Third, the 2nd annual Whole Lotta Hank tribute / benefit show. Of course, most people should know the story by now: I have been doing these live music tribute shows for a few years, and Ashley Nutter's (and Jonny's) enthusiastic support has b een the greatest part of this. Ashley came up with this event for last year, and it was a rollicking good time, and created a lot of buzz and long term enthusiasm for the tribute series. We gained some new cohorts and music loving friends. So this year's show is April 26th, down at the Wheel House. A good set of musicians is lined up, with a wee bit of room for a few more. $5 donation at the door, and more generous donations are always appreciated. These are fund raisers for Children's Home Society and the work we do with area children and families.
I always have to have a few things to worry about; so this event's worry is that Jerry Douglas is playing in town that same night, and could draw a lot of music lovers away from the Hank Williams tribute. Let me know what you think or hear, I don't want to change the date, but........
Jerry is a great musician, and worth the show, but I am somewhat stubborn to stick to my set date.

Meanwhile the greens will be popping back in town several times throughout April, so stay tune for enthusiastic reporting and build up!!!!

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger ashlienutter said...

the nutters & the band of gypsies that follows will be there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home