tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

I settle back in to a busy work-a-day world; and don't get to relish the Tribute show enough

Bob Dylan and his avid local musical acolytes have left the building (the 6 Pence Pub, that is). I don't think anybody played "Love Minus Zero/ No Limit" which was the first song I played much on the guitar; along with You Ain't Going Nowhere". A guy kept calling for "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall." Chimes of Freedom. When ya gonna Wake up (and strengthen the things that remain). In all the various "studying up" I did on Bob Dylan prior to our Tribute show last weekend, it struck me when there were certain vantage points, like "when dylan was 45 years old" or when he was 26 years old" that his life had such a different trajectory than anybody. To have written so many songs, been through so much acclaim, and scrutiny, at a young age, and to "reinvent" himself so many times. His steady touring well into his 60's; the number of combinations of bands he has assembled, the number of books written, the analysis done- wow.
The willingness of so many musicians, probably themselves, coming from many different vantage points on Dylan's songlist, continues to be gratifying and amazing. From the simpleness of folks songs, to the complexities of rock, blues, and circling back to old-sounding songs from America's past; we had folks willing to take 'em all on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home