tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

drive to Athens and back

Headed over to Athens (Ohio that is) yesterday; when you've got good listening music, the trip is very quick. I listened to the "A Nod to Bob" an artists' tribute to Bob Dylan on his 60th birthday CD. This is a Red House Records compilation. Eliza Gilkyson says: "He rocked, he spewed venom, he seduced, he sang us to sleep and slapped us awake, he befriended the shadow and he held the lamp up to all our faces. He irreverently and irrevocably turned the suburban backyard of folk music into a mysterious tangled forest of unlimited possibilities." I like the interpretations (you know those reviews of tribute collections; either folks don't like the interpretations, or they saw the performers tried to match the originals, etc. etc.) The Clothes Line Saga is classic by the Roches; Cliff Eberhardt's I want you is achingly fresh. Ramblin' Jack's story is fun; specially when Bob jumps up and says "I like what you do to the song, Jack"- and drinking cutty sark stuck in a mountain snowstorm near Allentown PA. Restless Farewell is so slow and deliberate - I can remember when I was learning that one myself.......
on the drive back it was John Hartford "Hamilton Ironworks" - very rich storytelling flavor; great little string band numbers.
Stopped in briefly at Haffa's the record store there; just to get a quick taste of it and where it was, etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home