tuck's music journal

I write about local music stuff in West Virginia and nearby Ohio. I post lots of information about the Greens and musical benefit events I organize for my non profit organization. Americana music focused.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Holly Long's CD "Leaving Kansas"

I have now had repeated listens to this new CD, and as always, enjoy getting to know the songs enough to appreciate things about them. The press release connects her sound to Annie Lennox, Sheryl Crow, Sarah McLachlan and Fiona Apple; so that would be the easy way to review - do some comparing. I hear similarities to Grace Potter (and the Nocturnals) especially in the strong emphasis on keyboards in the music. There are already lyrics that are working into my mind; a catch of a phrase, a story, a perspective. I like the background vocals on several of the songs. I hope folks will stop by her website or my space to get a further exposure to her music. Thanks to Patrick Steven Patterson for linking me up with these fine musical performers.
I have a long line of powerful female performers that I have really come to appreciate:
Devon Sproule, Ina May Wool, Corrine West, Sarah Guthrie, Grace Potter, Anais MItchell - that I am always glad to spread the word about, enthusiastically.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home